What is THCa
Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCa) is a psychoactive, non-psychotropic acidic precursor to THC, CBNa and CBN found in raw cannabis. THCa doesn’t appear to interact with either CB1 or CB2 receptors, and research is sparse in terms of its effects. Raw cannabis leaves are popularly juiced or brewed into teas for their THCa content.
THCa in particular has been shown to assist with pain relief, nausea, insomnia, sleep apnea, seizures, epilepsy, muscle spasticity, anorexia, cachexia and bulimia.
- Grunfeld, Y. Edery, H. Psychopharmacological activity of the active constituents of hashish and some related cannabinoids. Psychopharmacologia. (1969)
- Shoyama, Y. Yagi, M. Nishioka, I. Yamauchi, T. Biosynthesis of cannabinoid acids. Phytochemistry. (1975)
- Gough, TA. Taylor, BJ. Baker, PB. The tetrahydrocannabinol and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid content of cannabis products. The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. (1981)
- Burstein, SH. The cannabinoid acids: nonpsychoactive derivatives with therapeutic potential. Pharmacology and Therapeutics. (1999)
- Dussy, FE. Hamberg, C. Luginbuhl, M. Schwerzmann, T. Briellmann, TA. Isolation of Delta9 THCA-A from hemp and analytical aspects concerning the determination of Delta9 THC in cannabis products. Forensic Science International. (2005)
- Verhoeckx, KCM. Korthout, HAJJ. Van Meeteren-Kreikamp, AP. Ehlert, KA. Wang, M. Van Der Greef, J. Rodenburg, RJT. Witkamp, RF. Unheated Cannabis sativa extracts and its major compound THC-acid have potential immuno-modulating properties not mediated by CB1 and CB2 receptor coupled pathways. International Immunopharmacology. (2006)
- Moldzio, R. Pacher, T. Krewenka, C. Kranner, B. Novak, J. Duvigneau, JC. Rausch, WD. Effects of cannabinoids Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol, Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid and cannabidiol in MPP+ affected murine mesencephalic cultures. Phytomedicine. (2012)
- What is THCa (Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid)? Leaf Science. (2017)
- Miller, S. Understanding Cannabinoids – THCa and THC. Green Flower. (2018)
- Cannabinoid Acids like THCa and CBDa. Green Flower. (2018)